Ever wonder where the bugs go in the winter time? There are many different strategies insects use to survive the cold months. Some migrate to warmer climates, but most insects stay here year round. They employ a variety of tactics for survival. One is simply to move in with humans. So what can one do to keep their home safe through the winter months?
1. Make sure your pest control company maintains your exterior perimeter barrier. Most chemicals used for barrier protection breakdown in 3 to 4 months. Skipping a winter service leaves your home vulnerable when it needs it the most.
2. Inspection. Having someone look in on a home that is empty through the winter can save you a lot of hassle down the road. Especially in areas like the crawlspace, attic, storage rooms, garages, etc.
3. Rodents can be a big problem in the winter months, they could hardly ask for a better place to over winter than your home.
1. Be mindful of stored bird seed and pet food. Keep them in resealable containers.
2. Check your downspouts and insure they are working properly. All life needs water, don’t supply it to critters that might like to live in your crawlspace or basement.
3. Store firewood outside away from the homes foundation. Many insects overwinter in cracks and holes in wood. Bringing the firewood into the home can tell the hibernating insects that spring has come early this year.
We hope you find this information useful. Remember if ever you have question or need some help Alco Animal & Pest Control is here for you all year long.